CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

30 July 2007

you put too much food on my plate

I don't have anything particularly interesting to say today, but thought I would share my smug satisfaction with myself, with all of you (how kind of me you say. I know.). A really sweet lady from across the street brought me a T-O-N of fresh tomatoes the other day from her garden. Now, I can hear Tami now, trying to figure out why I would accept such a gift, seeing as how I won't eat raw tomatoes. But I'm also super-frugal, and use everything I can to feed my family. So, I did what any girl in my situation would do...ask Mom! I got great advice from her about what to do to use them all, and spent yesterday evening washing, blanching, peeling, chopping and dividing them into approx. 1 can portions to replace store-bought cans of tomatoes. Some I'll put in the blender later for crushed/puree. I'm so proud of myself! For those not so new to the domestic pursuits, you may laugh at me and wonder why I'm not right now knee deep in my own tomato garden or mending socks instead of blogging, but thats ok. We have lots of frozen tomatoes!!! I'll make chili, spaghetti, and a cool new recipe Aubrey sent me for what sounds like a scrumptious Chicken/spinach/pasta recipe. So give me a virtual pat on the back please.

7 "atta girl"s:

Candace/Chloe said...

Too funny Kristen! I'm patting you right now! Oh, those tomatoes look sooooo yummy! I LOVE fresh, ripe tomatoes, so I am quite jealous!

You go girl!!!

dirksgirl said...

go sista! those fresh tomatoes will be excellent in the chicken/spinach dish!

The Fox Den said...

Virtual pat to you! You are a home eco. guru!

Cottle Clan Dobermans said...

We could send you some Cucumbers and squash lol.

walkmom said...

Can you get her to send some to me? We only got one bushel up so far this year. Last year, we ate through almost three! We put ours in jars and use them for almost everything.

Tami said...

There you go now, showing us up! :-) So will be growing a tomato plant in a pot next? LOL

Alexander Family said...

You go girl!! I am so proud of you. That is exactly what I would like to be doing. Nothing better than fresh tomatoes to turn into what ever sauce or soup you want.