CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

16 July 2008

slow miracles are the only kind that will last

I'll probably never win a "Mother-of-the-Year" award, getting a weepy spot on Oprah for the world to see and cry along with. Most likely there won't be any articles in the paper about my amazing feats as a Mom, and how best to emulate me. When people think of the "greats", it'll be Susannah Wesley who comes to mind, not the SlaughterHouse lady. And no one will be writing memoirs with me as the centerpiece, moving readers with tales of self-sacrifice and generosity. But sometimes the little stuff is ok too. Sometimes the miniature hands that squeeze your face and the legs that stretch on tip-toe just for a sweet kiss is enough. And it needs to be enough. Those little things are my miracles that take me from "I can NOT do this and when can I quit?" all the way to "what will I do when she's gone?". One day she won't need those tip-toes to reach me, and probably won't care to leave her slobbery kisses on my face. Dinnertime will come and go without a declaration that "I need a hug RIGHT NOW!". And requests for a bedtime song will be only memories. Thirty pounds fit quite neatly in my lap right now, curled up for family movie night, but ten years from now she'll need her own space. Will she still curl her hair around her fingers while she sleeps? How about when we are whispering...will she still demand that we "speak Engwish!" I can live without the hair-curling and the lack of her in my lap. I can live without slobbery kisses and frequent bursts of song. But I need to know that she's always mine. I guess I'll have to share her. And probably that's the way I'd want it if I'm honest. But right now I'm not feeling as honest as I am overwhelmed that her years will slip quickly through our home and into her own. But baby Carrie will always have a home here, the place she knew first.

Happy Birthday Sunshine!

11 "atta girl"s:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Carrie!

Kristen, that brought tears to my eyes. You have a way with words and such a way of telling things. Thanks for sharing your heart strings.

The Wilhite Family said...

Kristen,
I am crying. That was beautiful. You have GOT to put that in her baby book! We miss you guys!

Granny said...

Kristen, I've always known there was a writer in there somewhere...thank you for the tears. I love you.

Papa said...

Dear Carrie, Papa is so sad that he forgot to call you today but know that he loves you so very much and can't wait to see you in TN.

And, yes Kristen, the years slip through your fingers just about the time you think you've got your grip. But we smile and laugh through the tears as we walk them down the aisle or send them off to college or work (or all three), remembering the kisses and hugs and secret whispers.

Dee Dee said...

Man, the post was enough. Then the comments. All you Warrens sent tears down my cheeks.
Happy Birthday, Carrie : )

Alexander Family said...

Beautiful!!
Happy Birthday princess Carrie!

Stephanie said...

I'm a puddly mess right now...thanks! That first picture is absolutely the best. Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go blow by dose.

Joanna said...

First, stop making me cry.

Second, who's Susannah Wesley???

Laurie said...

Wow! Please someone send this to Dobson to share with other mothers. It ministered to my heart. Some blessings need to shine and not be hidden. Thank you for sharing this. I rejoice that you have the time to write and share your poetry heart with others.

The Fox Den said...

She is just beautiful... and so is her mom.

Melissa said...

That is so precious..you really captured that! she is such a sweet little thing
- mrs. taywor